Thursday, August 22, 2013

Half Marathon Ready in 30 Days?

Well, I'm still recovering from a nasty sinus infection but I did go to my personal training appointment yesterday and I'm hoping to make my return to cardio today. I've been so sporadic with my return to running and with the Couch to 5K plan that I've decided to completely start it over. I haven't been able to keep up with the intervals that the program is expecting me to be able to run, so I highly doubt that in just a few short weeks I'll be running a full 3 miles.

If I start the Couch to 5K plan today and stick with it, and with 30 days until the Quad Cities Half Marathon and planning on 4 days of running per week I should be at a point in the training plan where I am running 2 miles without stopping. I feel that with my cardio and weight lifting I should be able to complete the HM without injury and with a reasonable time. If I can accomplish those 2 goals then I will be perfectly happy at the finish.

I signed up for the Quad Cities half marathon a long time ago when I was also still planning to do the Go! St. Louis Marathon, I expected that my health and running would be significantly better at this point but I've let it go so much in this year that I'm practically starting over. I'm hoping that the 30 days of training will prepare me well enough for this half marathon and that I can move forward from there.

I'm currently using a Couch to 5K app on my iPhone and am planning on using the Couch to 10K app to build from there. After that I'd like to move onto a half marathon or marathon training plan. I'd like to have something that I can use on my iPhone but I wouldn't mind something that I could type into my calendar and that doesn't require me to be outside but also doesn't limit me to the treadmill. I'd love to hear your opinions on training plans for the 21K and 42K distance.   

No comments:

Post a Comment