Sunday, May 20, 2012

Live Well Ferguson Twilight 5K

I almost missed it. I almost talked myself out of running it. I almost went back to sleep.

But I didn't.

I had such a busy day. I had worked until 2:45 AM, I didn't manage to get any sleep before leaving at 6:45 AM to pick up the kids for the heart walk at Busch Stadium with my fellow ER cohorts. I had the kids until 2 pm and I consumed a ridiculous amount of caffiene to make it to 25 hours without sleep. Once I dropped the kids off I drove home and crashed. I didn't wake up until 5:15, race at 6, 40 minute drive according google maps and the overwhelming desire to just go back to sleep. Once I talked myself into going I had to haul but I made it to the start line 2 minutes before the gun.

Overall, the race was very nice and is possibly one of my favorite races. Honestly I'd rank it above all the other races I've run. For being a fairly small local race it was well run, with a surprising amount of spectators. The course was primarily residential and the roads were shut down for us, tons of people were out in their lawn chairs cheering us on. Several people had sprinklers set out on the sidewalk for us to run through which was awesome given the heat and humidity. We ran past the fire department which had some kind of wicked awesome spinning sprinkler on the fire hydrant in front of the fire house.

The finish line was crowded but the spirit was great! The volunteers were amazing and the after party was small but was so much fun. It was one of the few times I stayed after a race just to enjoy the activities. However the fact that I had only had 2.5 hours of sleep soon caught up with me. I grabbed dinner and then came home and crashed.

Overall time was 39:35

Oh and I ran naked. ;) No music, no gps. More on that later. Also I'll add pictures once I can get my pics off my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment