Saturday, July 19, 2014

A Long Post

So, what happened? I was posting somewhat regularly and then bam, I disappeared. It's kind of my MO for blogging though isn't it? That's why pretty much my only regular follower is my husband, bless his heart. Anyway, here's the long and short of what happened while we were away...

July 5th I woke up feeling miserable and had a particularly bad head cold. I ended up spending most all of Sunday and Saturday in bed trying to feel better. Thankfully I did end up feeling pretty good by the time I woke up on Monday, on the other hand, on Monday I woke up to my husband puking. I thought maybe he had food poisoning but when I went to work and experienced similar symptoms I realized that he probably brought home a stomach virus not food poisoning. So I spent Wednesday and Thursday dealing with a stomach virus. By Friday my stomach virus was gone but I had a nasty cough to replace it. On Saturday I finally gave up and got an antibiotic and a steroid taper.

After I was finally feeling better I'd lost a whole week. It was Monday again and I had three miles on the running schedule, I also wanted to get my kiddo and the dog out and about so I ended up doing 4 miles on Monday. My 3 mile run went very well, thanks to being on a steroid taper for my bronchitis. I decided to do Run 2 Walk 8, just to see how I felt and I wanted to keep the rest nice and long to keep my heart rate from getting to high which I frequently have trouble with during a steroid course. I  took the run times nice and slow to help keep my heart rate down and ended up having a max HR of 184 which is really my max. Right about there and above I start to feel like crap if I keep that up so I usually shoot to keep it around 180 or less.

Tuesday was back to work for me, this time feeling much better than I had in a while thankfully. I didn't run but I did manage to do around 5,783, I had been using the breeze app for iPhone but I'm not the best about keeping my phone in my pocket so I pretty much always assume that it's off by a bit.

Wednesday was a fun day for the kiddo and I, he did his usually chores and then we went to the park for a while before heading to his dentist appointment. I took a book and kicked back while he had his cleaning, his dentist doesn't allow parents back unless they are adamant about it or there is a problem. Honestly it would probably stress out kiddo out to have us back there and do more harm than good so I got to read for 30 minutes and he was very well behaved, it is a win win. My husband was already home by the time we got back from the dentist and after we made dinner and put the kid to bed, he was nice enough to do the laundry while I went out for my 4 mile run.  I did my usual leave from the front door and run down the street routine. I usually don't do that for anything longer than 3 miles out from my door, mostly because I never have but also because I didn't know how much further the sidewalks go once I get 1.5 miles down the street. I ended up being able to add the .5 miles without much difficulty but by the time I was on the way home it had gotten considerably dark and there weren't a ton of street lights on so I was concerned that I might trip or hurt myself. I keep saying I need to wear a headlamp when I do late night runs and I even have a couple of them, I just never remember it when I go for a run.

I had to work again on Thursday and also had a 3 mile run on the schedule. By the time I made it home after my 12 hour shift. (I have an 80 minute commute.) I was done and I just didn't have it in me to do the 3 mile run, I took a hot shower and ended up falling asleep and sleeping about 12 hours.

When I finally crawled out of bed on Friday I didn't have much time before I had to meet my husband for lunch and to go pick up our race packets for the Biggest Loser Run/Walk. We had both originally signed up for the 5K but since the marathon training plan I'm doing had a 7 mile run scheduled I decided to upgrade my registration to the 10K. I also got to meet Jay from BL season 15. He lives close to where I grew up and we talked for a few minutes about his recent vacation which was right down the street from my parents house. He seems like a really nice down to earth guy.


After packet pick up my husband headed back to work for a little bit and I headed home, lucky my hubby didn't have to work long though. We headed out to do a bit of shopping. My husband has really been wanting a GPS watch to run with. He normally uses RunKeeper on his phone, which he really enjoys using but anytime we have to stop at a light or to tie a shoe it is a long process for him to pause his workout, when I can just press a button. He is the type to research a purchase for months before buying something, where I am much more impulsive. He had looked at a lot of watches but still hadn't narrowed it down to just one. He was thinking he might get a Garmin Forerunner 220 like I have but ended up leaving the store with a Nike+ watch instead. He really wanted something to try out for our race on Saturday and decided if he didn't like it after the race he would return it.

We came home to meet up with his Aunt and Uncle that he had done some computer work for and ended up going out to dinner with them after he finished up the computer repair and had a nice dinner with them. On the way back home we decided to swing back by Best Buy for an activity tracker for me. I've kind of wanted one for a while and there was a fairly cheap one that I figured I would try out. When I got back I saw something I hadn't noticed before which was the Misfit Shine. I had seen it on the Apple commercial and thought it looked cool so I ended up picking one up to take home. I will write a review once I have used it for a little bit longer but so far I'm thinking I like it. If you haven't seen them, check them out. I know that they are another tracker in a sea of them but it's worth a look if you are looking for one. I included a link to it on Amazon below.

As for our Saturday, we stayed very busy! Kiddo got to spend the night with grandma since we has to be up at 6:15 for our race. We headed out and made it to the race with about 30 minutes to spare, my husband is early to everything, unlike me who usually shows up as they are releasing the first corral. Anyway my husband set a new PR and I finished the 10K in about the pace I expected. I will post a full race review in a day or so. After the race we had breakfast and headed home to meet up with the kiddo. After a nap and lunch we headed to a local park to do some hiking and a little bit of swimming in the river.  After that I was done with the activity but my husband decided he didn't like his Nike+ as much as he had hoped so he took it back and on my recommendation picked up the TomTom Runner Cardio which I'm a bit jealous of, I won't lie. Provided he likes it he has already agreed to do a review after a few days of testing it out.



*Bethanylosesit.blogspot.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase the product through the link above I earn a percentage of the sale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment